Stopping Fake IDs in the State of Nevada
The United States is facing a serious problem with the rising prevalence and proliferation of fake identification cards across the country. This issue goes well beyond college students trying to pass of fake ID to get into the local watering hole; we are seeing a growing prevalence of expertly forged documents being utilized to commit white collar crimes like identity theft, mortgage fraud, and credit card scams even after both state and federal law enforcement agencies continue to crack down on these issues. The impact of the phenomenon is evident across the US, even in the state of Nevada. As the stories below show, fake identification has been highlighted in several recent events across the state:
- Back in 2001, local police and federal agents joined forces to take down a man they discovered had been selling hundreds of fake ID’s and driving permits. During the course of the 3 month investigation, authorities discovered the man had sold 700 international drivers permits and fake ID’s, primarily to illegal aliens.
- In 2017, one of four men who robbed a jewelry store in the Bellagio hotel admitted that he utilized a fake ID in preparation of perpetrating the crime. The suspect told authorities that he was able to cross the border via bus into Arizona and continued traveling to Las Vegas. It was there where he met up with the other suspects and told to use the fake ID to book two different hotel rooms that would serve as the base of their operation.
The Penalties for Fake ID possession in Nevada
Under Nevada law, punishment for using a fake ID can vary based on how it is being used. Should you be caught using a fake ID solely to purchase alcohol, cigarettes, or to gamble, you will be charged with a misdemeanor. Punishment for a crime of that nature is:
- Jail sentence up to six months
- Up to $1,000 in fines
Ppl Pgdm Lucknow Kanpur Pilot Uttar Pradesh Flying Aviation Training Cpl Additionally, using a fake ID to commit fraud will result in a category C felony charge, which carries a punishment of:
- 1 to 10 years in a state prison
- Potential fines up to $10,000
Possessing a fake ID for the sole purpose of establishing a fake identity is considered a category E felony, which carries a punishment of:
- 1 to 4 years in a state prison
- Potential fines up to $5,000
How to Spot a Fake Nevada ID
For bartenders, doormen, waiters, waitresses, notaries, bank tellers, retail clerks, and any other people who must verify ID’s in a professional environment, the proliferation in fake ID creation and distribution is disturbing. In many scenarios, the person responsible for failing to recognize a forged ID takes on just as much, if not more, liability than the person possessing the forged document. That being said, it is absolutely vital that businesses needing to regularly verify the identity of their patrons or employees use the I.D. Checking Guide.
What the I.D. Checking Guide Includes:
- A full page or more for each U.S. state and Canadian province identity card sample, showing driver’s licenses and ID cards, plus U.S. and Canadian territories.
- Ppl Pgdm Lucknow Kanpur Pilot Uttar Pradesh Flying Aviation Training Cpl Guidelines on standard Nevada driver's license terms, term length, etc.
- An explanation of where ghost images, holographic overlay, UV elements, microprinting, and other security features should be found on valid Nevada ID
- Ppl Pgdm Lucknow Kanpur Pilot Uttar Pradesh Flying Aviation Training Cpl An explanation of what the proper alphanumeric sequencing of a Nevada ID or Driver's license should be (i.e how many letters, numbers, etc.)
- Full details for past and current Nevada driver's licenses in circulation.
- "How to check driver’s licenses" techniques for training use.